This Monday we present to you another Maltese popular dish: ross il-forn (baked rice). Especially requested by one of our Facebook followers, this dish makes a hearty dinner option which is perfect for chilly winter days. Ross il-forn makes awfully good comfort food too, even though it is not an unhealthy option - giving you a perfect solution for your cheat day!
- 300g long grain rice
- 200g minced pork
- 200 g minced beef
- 4 rashers bacon
- 4 eggs well beaten
- 200g tomato pulp
- 100g Kunserva (tomato paste)
- 1tsp sugar
- 2 medium sized onions (chopped)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 75g parmesan cheese
- In a pot, fry the onions with some olive oil till translucent, add bacon, and mince. Mix well so that meat cooks evenly.
- Add tomato pulp, kunserva, salt and pepper to taste and sugar.
- Cook sauce for about 20 mins on low heat.
- In a separate pot boil rice, drain and put back in empty pot, and mix with cooked sauce.
- Add ¾ of the beaten eggs with rice and sauce and mix well.
- Pour the rice into a greased baking dish, and pour the remaining eggs and the parmesan cheese evenly on top.
- Bake in a hot oven until top becomes golden brown for around 30 mins.