- 1kg self-raising flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 50g fresh yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 60g melted butter
- Extra warm water
1. Dissolve the yeast and the sugar in a cup of warm water until the mixture is frothy.
2. Mix the flour and the salt in a large bowl and add the melted butter.
3. Add the yeast mixture and mix well.
4. Add the warm water as you go along to ensure a doughy consistency. When done, the dough should not be sticky.
5. Knead the dough on a bench top. Then place in a large bowl, cover it and leave the dough to rest for an hour or so.
6. Knead the dough again and cut it in small portions.
7. Roll out the portions as thinly as possible (you can use a pasta machine) and with a scone cutter or a glass cut the pastry in small circles.
8. Place the individual circles on a lightly dusted oven tray and bake until they are golden brown.
Bacon Cheese Dip
- 8 slices bacon (about 200g), diced, fried
- and well drained200g cream che
- ese, cubed, room temperature2 cups
- shredded cheddar
- cheese1/2 small onion very finely minced1/2 teaspoon salt
- a dash of t hot sauce
Method: Place bacon in a large skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble, and set aside. In a small bowl, mix the cream cheese Cheddar cheese, onion, and bacon. Place bowl in microwave, and cook 2 minutes. Remove, and stir well. Return to microwave, and cook 2 to 4 minutes more. Serve warm with galletti or toasted bread
- 250g ful ta’ Ġirba (these are small brown beans, if you cannot find them use dried broad beans)
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 head of garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp marjoram, mint or basil
- Olive Oil
- 1 Garlic, crushed
- 1 cup Black Olives, pitted and chopped
- 4 anchovies
- 1 tsp Fresh Thyme
- 1 tsp Fresh Rosemary
- 2 tbsp Capers
- 3 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil
- Black Pepper, freshly ground.
Method: Place the olives in a food processor and chop to a coarse puree. Remove and reserve them. Drop in the rest of the ingredients and process into a puree, scraping the bowl, once or twice. Return the chopped olives/tomatoes to the processor, and mix briefly adding more oil if necessary. Serve with toasted crusty bread.
- 1 large onion
- 1 big can tuna
- 5 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon tomato purée
- 1 teaspoon vinegar, salt and pepper
1. Mix all the ingredients in a food processor or blender.
2. Serve with Maltese galletti or Maltese bread
Aubergine amp; Pepper Dip
- 2 large aubergines
- 2 red peppers
- 4 tbsp. Spanish olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- Grated rind and juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh coriander
- ½-1 tsp. paprika
- Salt and pepper
- To garnish: Fresh chopped coriander
- To serve: Bread or toast
1. Preheat the oven to 190ºC/375ºF/Gas Mark 5. Prick the skins of the aubergines and peppers all over with a fork and brush with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Place on a baking tray and bale in the oven for a 45 minutes, or until the skins are beginning to turn black, the flesh of the aubergine is very soft ant the peppers are deflated.
2. When the vegetables are cooked, put them in a bowl and cover tightly with a clean, damp tea towel. Alternatively, you can put the vegetables in a polythene bag. Leave for about 15 minutes, or until they are cool enough to handle.
3. When the vegetables have cooled, cut the aubergines in half lengthways, carefully scoop out the flesh and discard the skin. Cut the aubergine flesh into large chunks. Remove and discard the stem, core and seeds from the peppers and cut the flesh into large pieces.
4. Heat the remaining olive oil in a frying pan. Add the aubergine and pepper and fry for 5 minutes. Add garlic and fry for a further 30 seconds
5. Turn the contents of the frying pan onto kitchen paper to drain, then transfer to a food processor. Add the lemon rind and juice, the chopped coriander, the paprika, and salt and pepper to taste, then process until a speckled purée is formed.
6. Turn the aubergine and pepper dip into a serving bowl. Serve warm, at room temperature, or leave to cool for 30 minutes, then leave to chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour and serve cold. Garnish with coriander sprigs and accompany with thicks slices of bread or toast for dipping.
Based on the materials: www.ilovefood.com.mt