Happy Christmas! The day we've all been waiting for is finally here, and between preparing food, opening presents, and eating so much we're going to burst, we have found the time to show you one final Christmassy recipe - Imbuljuta tal-Qastan. This is not a food recipe per se, it is more of a mulled drink, made up of chestnuts. This drink was traditionally served on Christmas Eve in Maltese households, before heading out to midnight mass. Today it can be served as a delicious hot beverage on the night of Christmas Day, as a relaxing remedy to a truly bustling day!
- 100g dried chestnuts, soaked overnight
- 80g sugar
- 40g dark chocolate
- 40g dark cocoa powder
- Grated rind of an orange
- Rind of a mandarin, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- Start this recipe by rinsing the soaked chestnuts and placing back into a saucepan and cover completely with water and an extra 4cm.
- Add in all the ingredients and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for approximately 45 minutes or until the chestnuts are soft and cooked.
- Serve whilst still hot.